Hi there! Back from a wonderful, fun, exhausting trip to NYC - rained for most of the time, but we had a great time anyway - lots of photos to go through and I'm hoping to make a mini album for Stephen similar to this one that I did for James.
For today I thought I would share a project that I created that went through some design changes on it's way to becoming published... although the book it is slated for looks to be on hold for now :(
Although it's always disappointing when something you submit isn't selected for publication, I've learned over the years not to take it personally and to try and be more objective about why it wasn't chosen. Not always easy when it's a project you really love or spent a long time on.
Sometimes when I have a project that I really like, I'll spend time trying to figure out how to re-work it to make it better. One thing I have found is that it is helpful to study the photo of the project (rather than the project itself) when trying to dissect what could be better. After all it is the photo that the editors see and base their decision on.
I've also found that it is helpful to put the project away for a few weeks before making changes. Usually I really like whatever it is that I've just created... but after time it's easier to see where I could have done something differently and how I might change it for the better.
Here is the first take on a little sewing box that I created.
I loved the new (at the time) Tim Holtz stamp and used that for the background. I also had all these cute Melissa Frances resin sewing charms on hand and wanted to use those as well. And at the time I think every project I did had some Prima flowers on it :)
I really liked the paper from Cosmo Cricket... I covered the backs of several clear buttons with coordinating paper and threaded them with Scrapper's Floss. Guess I could have done a better job adhering the paper to the box... the gap where you can see the chipboard bothers me...
After this was submitted (and rejected) from two different calls, I put it away for awhile. When I came across it some time later I think I was able to see that the top was too busy, too cluttered looking. The sewing machine and the heavy text on the tag seemed to be competing for attention and were too heavy looking.
I took off the sewing machine and moved the flowers to cover the punched circle. Then I used some alcohol ink to tint an acrylic shoe and added a rub-on underneath (much "lighter" than the sewing machine). I also changed the tag and added a simple "S" (for "sewing", or "style", or maybe a monogram...). I moved one of the flowers to the tag and felt like that tied the design together even more. I liked the changes and was thrilled when this was requested the next time I submitted it to a publisher.
Now I'm off for a fun-filled day of intensive house cleaning in preparation for James' Confirmation tomorrow and to prepare for the celebration we are having here tomorrow afternoon.
Have a great weekend!